Pages

Monday, May 12, 2014

Happy Mother's Day!


Selfie with Mom
My mother.  She is the reason I am here today.  Of course not for the obvious reasons but for much more deeper reasons.  I have suffered from depression and anxiety since I was very young.  I wasn't properly diagnosed until I was 19.  That of course is a whole other blog series I will discuss someday soon.  I have struggled over the years and without my Mom I would not be here today.  No matter how bad things got for me, my Mom was only a phone call away.  She has this gift, magical power to make everything okay. 
Easter 1982.  Me in the good ole days as an only child!  Andy was born 3 months later.
My parents waited 9 years to have me.  They wanted to be financially stable in their lives before having children.  I hope I was worth the wait.  Ha-ha!  My Mom was a stay at home Mom which I truly believe is the reason my brother and I turned out so well.  Mom gave up a career in teaching to stay at home and raise us.  We were active in everything and Mom just shuttled us around.  Sports practice, dance, swimming, school, playing with friends, and more swimming.  We always had a nice home cooked dinner every night and clean clothes in our closet.  Andy and I never wanted for anything and were spoiled rotten.  Mom kept us entertained at all times.  She has the most amazing patience of anyone I know.  (Which is very nice for all the Irish tempers in our family!)
Mom at the Children's Museum in Indy with K#1, D & P
Now it has been said that my Mom kept me in a little bit of a bubble in my younger years.  I was not allowed to watch PG-13 or R movies.  We weren't allowed to watch 'mature' TV shows (aka anything on MTV, Blossom, Roseanne.  Yet we were allowed to watch Dallas.  Go figure.)  Another good example was I could only watch the shopping scene in Pretty Woman.  My friends laugh at me now when they talk about classic 80's movies I have never seen.  I absolutely understand why she didn't allow us to watch certain things and I do appreciate it.  It meant that my Mom cared and she just wanted to protect us from the outside world.
1999.  I was 19 and just learning what important part of my life she was.
In high school, especially my senior year, I went through the phase of my parents are so not cool.  Just let me be with my friends.  Totally normal.  Mom still kept loving me.  Waking me up everyday for school and making me breakfast.  She still made sure we were well taken care of.  She was a little hesitate when it came time for me to drive.  All kinds of fun rules that never applied to my brother later on!!!  (Still holding that Irish grudge, Megan.)  But again I understand.  She was just trying to protect me.  As time went on I had more freedom.  My parents really never set a curfew for me.  As long as they knew where I was and when I would be home. 
Easter 2010.  Baby K#1
College was really tough for me in the beginning.  I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do or where I wanted to be.  Crazy me decided my sophomore year to go 5 hours away to Purdue.  That first year was very tough.  I was diagnosed with depression and would have never got through that time without my Mom.  Life got better when I joined a sorority and found a major I really enjoyed.  Mom helped me through all the tough times and even through accounting!!!!
Gammy with K#1 and K#2

It has been fun to see my Mom transition into a Grandmother.  AKA Gammy.  She adores K#1 and K#2.  She gets to take care of K#2 at the daycare where she works.  I am glad she can live so close to them and spend time with the girls.  They grow up way too fast.
Gammy and K#1.  Please notice Casey on her lap.  He gets so jealous!!

Mom and her first daycare baby.  B is now almost 4 and still adores my Mom!  B is also the most stylish little girl I know!
My Mom is absolutely my best friend.  I don't know what I would do without her in my life.  I can't think about it.  I love her so much and grateful for all sacrifices she has made for me.  She puts up with my craziness, listens to all my stories, lets me vent, and is always there for me.  She helped me through my back surgery a year and half ago.  Whipped me right back into shape.  I do not know how I ever got so lucky in life to be her daughter but I am thankful everyday.  She truly is the most amazing woman I know.
Mom, Dad, and Stacey celebrating their birthdays
Mom,
Happy Mother's Day.  I apologize for my teenager years, wrecking your Continental, stealing all your nail polish, for making you carry the wooden spoon in your purse, getting mad at you for no reason, causing you sleepiness nights, being like my FATHER, and losing my patience when I'm teaching you how to use your electronic devices.  I can't wait to spend the weekend with you this week in our great town of Indy.  I love you with all my heart.



Dad-I know you are reading this and thinking, hey what about me?!  Your time is coming ole man.  Trust me I will not forget about you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment