Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole

About once a week I like to make one dish that will create a lot of leftovers.  It is nice to just grab some leftovers and warm it up whether it is for lunch or dinner.  This past weekend I made a chicken enchilada casserole.  Let me just say I cook a lot like Ina Garten aka Barefoot Contessa.  I don't measure my ingredients.  I just kind of throw things together.  It is how I have always cooked.  When I bake I do tend to measure things more but a lot of times I just eyeball it.  Sorry my recipe doesn't have exact measurements.  I will do my best.

I found a couple of easy recipes on Pinterest and put them together to create this casserole.  The leftovers didn't last very long.  It was really good!!!  I am also not one to add a ton of spices to my food.  I am a bit of a whimp in the spicey food department.

Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole

Ingredients:
3-4 large chicken breasts
Shredded cheese of your choice.  (I used mozzarella and sharp cheddar.)
10 Soft flour tortillas (medium size)
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
Salsa
Sour cream
Seasonings of your choice

1.  First boil some chicken breasts until fully cooked.  I used 4 medium to large chicken breasts.


2.  Remove chicken from water.  Make sure chicken is drained well.  Shred chicken in a separate bowl.  To give the chicken a little flavor I added some fresh salsa.  You could also use a can of Rotel.


3.  Next you will want to get out your shredded cheese.  Ever since I started watching the Pioneer Woman, I prefer freshly grated cheese.  It takes some extra effort but it is worth it.  I used one small block of mozzarella and sharp cheddar.


 4.  Now it is time to start assembling.  Simply hold a tortilla in your hand like you are making a taco.  Fill it with the chicken mixture and then sprinkle some cheese on top.  Don't fill it too full.  You want to be able to roll it up like a burrito.  **Side note.  You could add some beans to this.  I am not a big fan of them.**


 5.  As you roll them, line them in a large greased casserole dish.  (Mine made 9 and I used one large and small casserole dish.)  Once you have them all prepared add the cans of cream of chicken soup on top and spread all over the top of the enchiladas.  I sprinkled a little bit of seasonings on top. 
**Instead of cream of chicken soup you could use the canned enchilada sauce.  I don't care for the sauce and I like the taste of cream of chicken better.**


6.  Cook in a preheated 350F oven for about 20-25 minutes.  



 7.  Spoon up and serve with a dollop of sour cream.  Yummy!
**You could add cheese, salsa, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, or guacamole on top.  Or serve on a bed of Mexican rice.  I just used what I had on hand.**




0 comments:

Post a Comment