Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

What I'm Watchin Wednesday: Wentworth

Hello!  And welcome to another episode of 'What I'm Watchin Wednesday!'  As I have predicted in a previous blog post, my Netflix subscription has turned into an addiction.  I have been binge watching lately.  (My poor DVR is backed up.)  After I finished up Orange is the New Black, I was having withdrawals!  When I was visiting my friend Ryan, he suggested I watch a show called Wentworth.

Wentworth Season 2 cast
Haven't ever heard of Wentworth?  Well that could be because it is an Australian series.  Seems to have been a huge hit there and eventually found its way to Netflix.  While I am not familiar with the stars of the show, I have to tell you the acting is fantastic.  Just amazing.  Wentworth was produced and aired long before Orange is the New Black came on the scene.  I will tell you that there are a lot of similarities between the two shows.  (Guess it goes to show the same drama happens in prisons all over the world.)  Wentworth is a little more gritty and hardcore.  (By that I mean more fighting, blood, guts.)  It shows more of what happens with the family and friends who are on the outside.  Goes more in depth with the guards (screws as the prisoners call them). 


Bea Smith (aka Red) is sent to prison for attempting to murder her abusive husband.  She soon learns that prison is nothing like she expected and there is a divide amongst the inmates.  It is all about whose group you belong to.  Bea begins to make friends and enemies pretty quickly.  Just because these ladies are locked up, doesn't mean they don't have connections to the outside world.  They are able to make things happen that turn Bea's world upside.  She goes from being the good girl to one tough cookie.  Without giving too much away, let me just say the last 2 episodes of season 2 had me on the edge of my seat.  Can't wait for season 3!

If I start talking with an Australian accent and calling you mate, this is why :-)  Also, may I suggest you turn your closed caption option on your Netflix settings when viewing Wentworth.  Sometimes it does get hard to understand the accent when they are talking fast.

Season 1 and 2 of Wentworth are now available on Netflix.

0 comments:

Post a Comment