Pages

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

What I'm Watchin Wednesday: Netflix

Hello my name is Megan and I can't stop binge watching Netflix.  I haven't showered in 2 days.  I haven't left the apartment in a week.  I haven't seen another living human being in over 10 days.  My cats are feeling ignored and my dirty dishes are piling up. 

Gotcha!  Ha-Ha.  Actually none of that is true.  I'm taking a shower everyday and going to work.  I'm communicating with the outside world as much as I can stand.  I have however binge watched 2 series on Netflix in the past 2 days and feel kind of guilty.  (In my defense one of the series I had already watched half of at a friend's house.)  Luckily nothing is on the old TV right now as the summer season begins.  Although I did get sucked in to American Ninja Warrior last night.  Yelling at the TV at the stupid idiots who didn't make it past the first obstacle.  I mean how embarrassing for them!  (Again....self....really?!  I would like to see your fat bum try that.)

Back in the day when Netflix first came out, I was a member.  You know when they sent you the DVD and you had to send it back.  Well then I got poor and had to cut out expenses where I could.  And Netflix got all fancy and now you can just watch everything online.  My friends have had for years but I just couldn't cave in to signing up again.  (It isn't that expensive.  Just $8.99 month.  First month free!)  Deep down inside, I knew I couldn't control myself.  I love TV.  You know this about me.  Real Housewives of Anywhere, Big Brother, Grey's, Scandal, Good Wife, Chicago PD, Little Couple, Teen Mom, Tiny House Hunting, Chicago Fire.....the list goes on and on.  I love TV.  So the thought of being able to watch a whole season at once is pure happiness.  For the record I was right.  I couldn't control myself.


Netflix
First show I watched was the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.  I remember reading about this show last fall when it was going to be on a major network station.  It has a funny plot line about a young girl who is a 'mole woman' and lives in an underground bunker with a crazy religious man (Jon Hamm) and 3 other woman.  They are escaping what they believe is the apocalypse for 15 years.  Turns out there was no apocalypse and the women are finally rescued.  The series is about Kimmy (Ellie Kemper) and her life outside the bunker and everything she has missed in the last 15 years.  I know what you are thinking....sounds dumb.  But it is pretty funny.  Some great one liners and a super funny cast (Jane Krakowski, Carol Kane, Tina Fey).  I don't think it would have survived on network TV.  On Netflix it seems to have been quite a hit.

Netflix
Second show I watched was Grace and Frankie.  Starring Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda.  I love Lily in all her classics.  I'm not a big Jane Fonda fan as she publicly didn't support the Vietnam War.  (That hits a nerve with me but that is for another blog.)  It is the story of 2 woman who try and survive after being dumped by their husbands of 40 years.  Turns out their husbands (Sam Waterston and Martin Sheen) are more than best friends/law partners.  They have fallen in love with each other and are leaving their wives to marry each other.  Grace and Frankie have never really gotten along but find themselves leaning on each other for support.  I enjoyed this show more than I thought.  And so did everyone else as it has been picked up for a second season.

Netflix

Next up for me?  Well on June 12 the third season of Orange is the New Black (OITNB for short) is released.  If you live under a rock and don't know about this show, you can check out my blog post here.  Let me just say that this show came out when me and my friends needed it the most.  I have a very close friend who has had to go through the justice system just like Piper in OITNB.  It came out when we all needed to be able to feel comfortable with it and learn to just laugh about it.  It is a very long story but just know that this show is not too far off from what really happens.  I can't wait for season 3!

Do you have Netflix?  What shows do you enjoy binge watching?

2 comments:

  1. Hello Megan,

    I watched all the of three programs and I bingewatched them all. Do you think there will be a second season of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Grace&Frankie?

    Nadine www.germangirlinlondon.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nadine! So addicting, isn't it? I did read there will be a season 2 of Grace & Frankie in 2016. I haven't heard about Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I sure hope so!

      Delete