Pages

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

What Christmas means to me


Christmas can be a difficult time of year for a lot of people.  For many different reasons.  It has always been a struggle for the people in my family.  My Grandpa passed away Christmas 1987.  (I was just getting ready to turn 8.)  He had been sick for awhile.  Lots of different conditions caused his death.  The primary cause of death was a brown recluse spider bite.

I have such a sparkling image of my Grandpa (or Hoo-Hoo as my older cousin named him).  He LOVED his grandchildren and just did everything with us.  Christmas was his favorite holiday.  It was really special to him for a lot of different reasons.  For you to really understand why........you must know he was a Presbyterian minister.  He always made the holiday special for us.  Arriving with a GIANT stuffed Santa Claus.  We have hundreds of hand made ornaments that he made over the years.  Christmas was his thing.

Christmas tree I still have from my Grandpa.
I know some members of my family still struggle with the holiday because of his passing.  But I am not one of them.  Is that terrible of me?  No I don't think so.  If there is one thing I do know about my Grandpa, it is that he would not want anyone to be sad at Christmas.  In the depths of my soul I feel like he passed along his Christmas spirit to me.  I know that may sound weird but I just feel it.  I absolutely love Christmas.  Decorating, shopping, cooking, baking, going to church, the music, family and friends, more decorating, movies.......I just love everything about it.  It is just a magical time of year and I feel so alive.

I know sometimes my family thinks I try to go a little over the top at Christmas.  But for me I am just trying to keep his spirit alive.  No matter how long it has been, I carry him in my heart.  And I know he is there with me.  Loving every minute of it.
My Grandpa


Grandpa is at the door and he brought a friend.  One of my favorite memories of him.

Santa is here!!!

Santa was a hit


0 comments:

Post a Comment