Pages

Monday, April 28, 2014

The Day I met the Pioneer Woman and my Niece



So that is me and the Pioneer Woman (PW).  Also known as Ree Drummond.    Do I look a little red faced in the picture?  Is sweating dripping down my face?  Am I totally starstruck?  Yes, yes, and yes.  But we will get to that all later.

Over the past couple of years I started watching the Pioneer Woman on the Food Network each Saturday morning and reading her blog.  So when I found out she was coming to Cincinnati for a book signing, I just had to meet her!!  She was going to be there the Monday of Thanksgiving week.  I got a couple of friends who are big fans to go, and we were all set.  Nothing could stop us now.  But........it was only September.  Thanksgiving seemed like a long way off.

Finally the big day came.  I met my friends at the bookstore in Cincinnati.  I pictured it packed with people and long lines of waiting.  Turns out it was just your neighborhood bookstore and several hundred PW fans milling around.  We picked up our books and got our 'line ticket' and found a corner to sit down in.  Not too long after we arrived PW came out, said hello, and introduced her daughters, Paige and Alex.  It was surreal seeing them standing there talking to us!

The book signing began.  What I found most impressive was PW promised she would stay until everyone had their book signed.  She was in for a long night.  Our wait began.  We were in group H.  Things seemed to move along steadily and finally our group was called.

PW was signing books on the second floor.  We had to work our way around the downstairs floor and up a flight of stairs.  While waiting on the stairs we saw Paige and Alex come back from a shopping trip at TJ Maxx.  Those girls were tall and looked just like their Mama.  As we got closer and closer I started to get nervous.  My legs started shaking and sweat started dripping down my face.  I felt like I was having a hot flash.  What was wrong with me?!

Finally we were at the top of the stairs and we were next in line.  My heart was racing.  I was dripping with sweat.  My friend Jeanette and her 11 year old twin children went first.  D was less than thrilled to be meeting her and be on this trip.  He looked absolutely miserable standing there and holding my purse.  (Why I chose to hand a 11 year old boy my purse is beyond me.)  His sister P is a huge PW fan and seemed excited to meet her.  I was up next.

PW, D, Jeanette, and P.  Doesn't D just look thrilled?!  (Photo courtesy of Jeanette FB)
                       

Somehow my legs carried me over to the end of the table.  In my head I knew what I wanted to say.  Hi I'm a huge fan.  My parents love you.  And your dog Charlie is my favorite.  Instead I just stood there like a big dumb Elmer (one of my Dad's favorite sayings) sweating and suddenly not able to talk.  I just stared at her and watched her sign my books thinking hurrying up, I hate being the center of attention.  I remember looking at her in total awe.  She was sitting there totally poised, shoulders back, and legs crossed.  Her cowgirl boots were in perfect condition and she looked like a model.  Finally I came to and blurted out, "Hi I'm Megan.  I'm Charlie's biggest fan..........."  That was all I could get out.  PW said smile for the camera and she would tell Charlie I said hi.  I hope I said thank you but I really couldn't tell you.  I was totally starstruck.  I picked up the books and waited for our friend Beth to have her turn.  I stood there thinking why didn't I say more.  What is wrong with me?!

PW and Beth.  Look how calm, cool, and collected Beth looks.  So unlike me!!!!  (Photo courtesy of Beth FB)
                                   
After meeting the Pioneer Woman, we headed our separate ways.  I was on my way to Norwalk, Ohio for Thanksgiving week with my family.  My Dad was so excited for me to meet PW.  He called me at least 3 times while we were waiting.  He is also a huge fan.  He had a good laugh at me being too starstruck to talk.

The cookbook
My signed copy


As if all that excitement wasn't enough, the very next day my niece was born!!!  And she came in a hurry.  My sister in law Stacey didn't even have time for the epidural to kick in!  The whole family was rushing to the hospital in a mild, Ohio snowstorm.  But we made it.  She is adorable and getting bigger everyday.  She is now 5 months old and starting to really get a cute personality.  She doesn't have much hair right now except in the very back on the bottom.  I call it a mullet.  LOL.

Here are some pictures of Miss K#2 from the past 5 months.   Most pictures are from my Mom who takes care of K#2 at Aunt Erin's daycare.  My other niece, K#1 is a regular visitor to the infant room.  She is 4 going on 14.  The things this kid comes up with.  I tell you ;-)



Me and K#2 at the hospital
K#1, Gammy, and K#2
Sisters!
Aunt Meggie and K#2
Cute, adorable nieces

K#2 Easter weekend


FOOTNOTE:  Because this is the internet and because my nieces and nephew are children, I will only use initials for their names.  Safety first!







2 comments:

  1. Aww, I love it Megan!! P.s. I didn't feel calm, cool or collected!! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support! Ha-ha well you looked like you had it together :-) Better than moi!

      Delete